Thursday, March 23, 2006

Getting Technical

When I was on my Ediets thread, we talked a lot about success. I saved some copies of my favorite posts from successful people and I believe the things I am applying from it are working for me. That is why I miss it. I wish I could access Ediets threads like you can on weight watchers without being a member.
One thing we talked about was having three point days. A long succession of three point days does guarantee success.
The three points are
Food-Eating within your calorie range and logging the food. I log food on the weight watcher tracker, which is way better than Fitday or any other one I have found. Of course, this translates into points rather than calories but occasionally I do log it in there so I can get a nutritional breakdown. I also write it down in my paper tracker I get at meeting every week. I am saving those for historical value and future reference.
Exercise is the second point-You can't do one without the other. Really. I tried the just exercise thing and turned into a fat-fit person. I was healthier and lost some inches but no real weight loss can ensue without proper nutrition. That is why you will even hear people lament that they trained for a marathon and didn't lose weight. I volunteer at the ironman every year and have seen super fat-fit women there. They are all muscle, with a layer of fat surrounding them. Bet they can eat a huge amount of food with the training they do.
Water is the third. This is a no brainer and non compromise thing. I have seen people put in negligible exercise with diet and get results. Seriously these people piss me off. I work out hard. But water is a given. You have to drink it. Weight watchers recommends a minimum of six glasses. I always drink more. I believe I have ranted before about weigh watcher whiners who claim to gag on it. Nuff said.
This time I decided to be patient with myself. I did not expect quick weight loss and did not set unreasonable goals. I didn't have a pending wedding or reunion to work towards. Something like that in the past has almost guaranteed me failure. I can't take the pressure of I only have three more months to lose 50 pounds. I gain under those circumstances. Seriously. This time I decided I do not care how long it takes. I have had some sloowww losses. It took me an eternity to get through the 190s.
You have to start and decide there is no finish line. If I hadn't started on September 1st and not looked back, I would not have lost 37 pounds. Am I where I want to be? No. Do I have a lot of work ahead? Yes, certainly.
Also I reward myself. I do almost every weigh in. I lost two pounds! I think I deserve new shoes! Last week I bought the most gorgeous, albeit unwarranted, Nine West sandals. Hot. I have two rewards for meeting my weight watcher goal and making lifetime. One is new Ugg boots and the other is jewelry. I told my fiance he has to do something for me. LOL He said he would take me out to eat. I said think MORE. This is big stuff.
He doesn't get it. There was a good news show about food addiction the other night and he commented that everyone has it since we have to eat. I also saw Wynonna on Larry King and she had been to a center for food addiction. She sounded great. She sounded like she got it. I know for her it is huge emotional issues and saw her on Oprah once with her sister and mom when she was a mess. They tried to be compassionate but of course they don't have a clue what it is like for her. She seems together now. It is also nice to see a celebrity not touting surgery or some gooey products but talking about real issues we all can relate to.
Anyway back to fiance He is just wrong. Told him he does not have an eating disorder and can not understand it. This is a man who can actually eat one Oreo at a time.
Well time to go over to weight watcher threads and see who is losing this week. Back later.

2 comments:

Lady Sue said...

the main reason I stay on eDiets is for the support...there have been times when I've thought that I would drop it..that's one of the main reasons I started the Blog...but I have made some really good cyber friends there so I stay..but I do get tired of the Whining. I'm like you, I don't like posting when I'm not on plan because I don't want to sound like i'm one of the whiners.
Journaling has always been a big problem for me...it sounds like you've gotten that under control.I need to take lessons...
Thanks for your support & suggestions on my blog...We all know what needs to be done..just need someone to remind us once in a while...right?

Joan said...

A few years ago I was a big poster there. I love Nighthawk. Also MLo is a good friend. Does Eve still post and Angie on 7%? I miss those guys. I stil email some ediets people too. I like the options for menus they have. Would love to see a Med diet menu. I used their shopping lists and still have a lot of recipes I love.