Monday, March 13, 2006

17 Pounds Until Goal

I lost 1.2 pounds and am now 17 pounds from goal. Something very strange happened in the last few pounds. All of a sudden all of my clothes got huge. I am fitting in all of the skinny clothes I had from before. So I don't need a new wardrobe. I have one sitting in my closet. The smaller you get, the bigger difference 1 pound makes. I have made some adjustments to my workouts and am seeing the results of the few sculpting workouts I have added a week.
My new challenge between now and vacation is to do my 20 minute ab workout every day. I did it yesterday. I know I won't get flat abs, but that is still where most of the loose flesh is. It is very loose too. I also think part of my recent success is partly due to the emotional evaluation I am making. Last week I thought a lot about what being a fat person means. I mean I have spent most of life living and defining myself as a fat person.
Being a fat person mentally or physically gave me a lot of excuses to screw up my life. Because I had visible proof I am a screw up right? So since I am fat, I can also make bad choices in career, relationships, etc. My failures were all compounded by the fat I carried around. See? I am a loser and I hate my life because I am FAT.
I truely do not like myself fat and I know all of the talk says, in Dr. Phil terms, to learn to like yourself. LOVE YOURSELF FIRST. But that didn't work for me. I don't like myself when I am fat. I treat me really bad when I am fat. I talk negative self-talk all the time. I feel sorry for myself.
Now I am losing all of that. And that was very consuming. It consumed my time, my health, my life. So what do I replace it with and how do I stop myself from going back to the type of self-loathing behavior that causes the yo yo dieting. I know the pitfalls.
One is my daughter.
Dealing with a stubborn 18 year old who knows everything is difficult. Yesterday I told her how I felt about a lot of things, mostly to do with, like, here you have created a problem. Like she has. What do you do? Her tendency is to create another problem to solve it. Which snowballs. Potentially into my problem. So I had to lay the groundrules again with her of what I will not accept as my problem and if her action A results in bad scenario Y, SHE has to solve that and that problem will be huge.
She calls me a hater over this because of course kids are convinced that we adults don't know what we are talking about and that we are just trying to make them unhappy. Or worse yet, ruin their fun. We are just there to rain on their parade.
This normally would send me on a tailspin of potential eating, but yesterday I didn't let it. I went upstairs and did my workout, watched tv, and she just let it go. Of course it is still eating at me that she is still leaning toward what I have absolutely no doubt is a bad decision, but the beauty of it is that at 18, I can't stop her but I don't have to pay the price.
At any rate, my mantra continues to be:
I will lose weight and get to goal no matter what it takes or how long or who or what will get in my way. I won't let that happen. I will be successful.

No comments: