Thursday, February 23, 2006

What Are Your Hobbies

There was a woman in the weigh in line lamenting to me and another woman at last week's meeting how she hates to cook. The other woman and I were sharing recipe ideas. It has to be hard if you hate to cook and this woman had children so the extent of her cooking is probably mac and cheese and frozen pizzas and other such fare. I know you can eat what you want on ww with the flex points, within the 8 healthy guildelines of course, but I am thinking she might be faced with prepared frozen dinners as her option most of the time. I like those in a pinch and usually have a couple for emergencies, but in the long run, this is not a solution. She later complained in the meeting to the group that she didn't like to cook and others joined in. The Weekly Whinefest at Weight Watchers.
I am lucky. I like to cook. Another friend of mine on weight watchers said she feels like she is doing nothing but cooking and running to the grocery store all the time. I know my weekends are partially consumed by what to make to have for leftovers for the following week and what to put in the crock on Sunday. I do feel the same way but I love grocery shopping and grocery stores. I love being surrounded by food. I am lucky in my town because we have a kind of grocery store war going on. They are all getting bigger and better. We do have a medium sized Whole Foods which they are tearing down and building a new mega Whole Foods which I am fantasizing as being the Walmart megastore version. In addition Trader Joes is moving is, which is probably the reason for the Whole Foods store expansion. Also our biggest and cheapest grocery store has totally renovated with a double layer parking lot and they have expanded their organic food lines and every time I go they seem to be adding more Whole Foods types of lines of food. They also attached the biggest liquor store in the Midwest and I do need my quota of healthy wine each week. This is a grocery shopper's paradise or will be soon. I will be the biggest grocery store whore around and will not affiliate with any one but will shop at all of them. Crowds be damned at the big grocery store. I go the off hours line early Sunday morning before Bikram yoga. For some reason middle aged single men shop there at that time. That is never why I went to "meet" a guy. Yeah right, but I also voyeur other people's shopping cart and know bachelor food when I see it. It is exactly the food my fiance had in his house before I moved in. Frozen pizzas, orange juice, sugary cereal, soda, chips, bolongna, white bread, ketchup.
Anyway the reason I titled this hobbies is because a friend of mine with three daughters in college who used to go to yoga came back last night. I ran into her at the mall last week and told her to come back and she said she missed it and it is expensive but she came back. She is a superhealthy person who taught aerobics for years and this is the only exercise that alleviates some of her back pain from overtraining for years. Nice to have a friend there again and we do share similar hobbies. Mine are typical empty nest symdrome hobbies, shopping, yoga, and now my meal planning gig but hey I find this all very fulfilling. If I had a housekeeper I would consider myself a whole woman.

No comments: