Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I Am Working For Me

Inevitably on a weight loss journey, you get to a point where people start "noticing". Inevitabley, they will start asking you questions. At first, you feel very flattered and you feel that your hard work has paid off. Even though they just noticed, it is probably not until you are somewhere between 20-30 pounds that people notice, even though you have noticed many physical changes already yourself, such as the loose pants or the thinner face. On my journey as a yo-yo dieter, I have reached the point many times where people noticed and they want to know how you did. They want to know what is working for you.
This part used to excite me because usually these people want to shed some weight themselves and I always felt I had the magic key. I had the experience to help them. I was eager to tell them how. Even though they probably know themselves. I am certainly not the only yo yo dieter in the world. Most others, who have tried and failed, are looking for something else. Because whatever they had done previously didn't work. If it had, they wouldn't have gained the weight back. A lot of times they will tell you, I did Jenny Craig, but it got too expensive. Or I did Weight Watchers, but I quit going to meetings and stopped exercising. So they want to know what is working for you because they think maybe something else will work for them. At this point I do tell them what I am doing, because I myself am normally convinced it is better and it works better than whatever xyz diet I have tried in the past or they have tried. Or maybe it is the different workout I am doing that is making the difference. At this point, as I have learned in the past, you do get a response but it is normally disappointing.
You see, these people don't want to hear what your program is because at this point I normally hear of some excuse of why my magic pill won't work. It usually sounds something like this:

I hate to exercise.
I can't drink water.
I don't like eating all of those fruits and veggies.
I can't give up potato chips, candy, ice cream, cheeseburgers......

You get the idea. They want to know what you are doing so they can find their excuse and back down in denial. I imagine if they are relating your current weight loss saga to someone else, it would sound something like this: You know I saw so and so and she did lose weight, but....... fill in the excuse. Or fill in the reason they will explain why you won't make it.
I no longer divulge too much of what I am doing. I know Star Jones is receiving a lot of flack for not admitting and advocating her bypass surgery but I understand it. I do tell people when they remark on my weight loss, very succinctly, that I am a weight watcher member, and I do a lot of yoga and cardio. Then I leave it at that.
When I reached my 10% goal at weight watchers the leader asked me if I wanted to share what is working for me. My response is that I am working for me. I don't think it matters what you are doing. I think any program works for anyone at any moment, but only if they are working the program and are making a commitment to it.
Right now, 21 pounds from goal, I am not focusing on what I am doing that much. I know what I am doing is working. I am focusing on maintenance and what I am going to do to make that work.

No comments: