Wednesday, February 01, 2006

More Excuses

I work with an overweight woman and have for several years all the while my weight has gone up and down. Every time I lose, she gets very deep in denial and won't acknowledge my weight loss and that is really fine by mean. I don't really mind. I have been in her place. I always hated the person who is losing the weight. Because that person is a reminder that it can be done and in my denial of why I can not or am not losing, subconsciously, there is proof out there that something works. It is hard to be in that place.
Before I joined Ediets, I had an epiphany when my daughter was 8. Since I had been very active in my youth and atheltic, I thought I was still that way. Even though I probably weighed 250 or more and was a size 24 dress. I thought under it all is muscle and health and the old me, who was never really thin or at goal weight and that was a whole other level of denial.
I decided I was going to make sure my daughter was active so decided to take up , as a family, one of my old activities, hiking. We went to a popular state park I had never been to but was local. It was a Saturday. We got a map and proceeded up the hill. The hill was actually a deep incline stairway with stones. It was considered an advanced climb. It would be very easy to twist an ankle on this trail. We started up. It wasn't very long before I was struggling, had a loss of breath and a tightness in my lungs. My impatient daughter chided me to climb and I did, but I was struggling. We weren't even half up and I had to stop every few steps and sit down. I was only 38 years old and realized at that point that I was not in shape and I could have a heart attack doing something that silly and leave my daughter parentless. I climbed though and made it.
I decided at that point to change. The changes took a long time to get me to where I am now. But that was the point I could no longer use the excuses. That was a huge change.

No comments: