Thursday, February 09, 2006

Arrested for NonSupport

I do use online support in dieting. At first I used Ediets, then Beachbody, and now Weight Watchers although I do not really post very much. I used to be a frequent poster on Ediets and Beachbody but found that that type of support wasn't helping.
For one thing there are a lot of people on there not as committed as I am and it is easy to get dragged into their excuse making and rationalizing not eating right. On Beachbody, a lot of them are committed to exercise but don't eat right. On Ediets I was just there too long. I did find one group of motivated people who preach the total elimination of a lot of foods. This worked for me for a while. Then I quit weighing in and gained like 40 pounds. I don't have any problem with that philosophy but it didn't work for me long term although I know a lot of people there who got to goal and stay there and never eat anything sweet or crappy.
I didn't join weight watchers in order to eat healthy foods though. I joined to learn new patterns of controlling what I eat. I could not hear the word no any more. Whether that meant no candy, no coke, no bread, no carrots. A lot of good diets have those types of restrictions. I know I don't want to do that.
At any rate, I at ww I use the boards for finding recipe and menu ideas and some motivation or information on the plan or exercise I might try. I don't post because I don't want to get bogged down in the cult of personality thing that goes along with that. It is bad enough to sit through weight watcher meetings week after week and listen to the same people who aren't losing whine about gagging on water and not liking exercise. I just shut that stuff out and take away what I need from the meeting. I don't try to convince them they are wrong or try to help them change their behavior. They will do it when they want it. If they wanted it bad enough they would do the program the way it is set up.

No comments: