Sunday, April 09, 2006

RUM COMA

I am back from vacation and still have vacation brain. It is getting better, or should I say worse. I am sort of getting back to the reality I don't want to be in but what choice do I have. You can't be in paradise every day. Or can you.
I did have a lot of anticipation for this vacation, but didn't really have any expectations. I was busy dieting, had a lot going on at home and with kids, so didn't really think about it much besides shopping for the clothes, which for me, is a paradise in itself, being a shopaholic.
We drove down to Chicago on Sunday and stayed in a hotel overnight since we had to be at O'Hare at 4:30 for our 6:30 flight. The hotel had a gym and I was able to score 50 minutes on the elliptical. I love the elliptical. Wish I had one at home.
The next morning we got off on the plane just fine and landed in Montego Bay about 11:30. From there, we had a two hour shuttle ride to the Couples Resort in Ochos Rios. There were about five other couples going too.
I have to say the one thing I really looked forward to was the fact we were staying somewhere with no children. We don't have small children and our big children get on my nerves, but lately I just get bugged out by small children crying everywhere and I don't mean to be a bitch about it, but I hate whining children in stores and restaurants. It is a huge distraction and ruins my meal or shopping or whatever I am doing. I know it can't be helped but still I am sick of it.
They drive on the wrong side of the road there and they drive like lunatics. Everyone passes and we barely missed a car coming at us several times that was passing. I didn't see any accidents but would think they have a lot of them. The roads are kind of crappy but they were expanding the road to four lanes, which IMHO could just add two more lanes of lunacy but who knows right.
There is a lot of poverty there but it is interesting to drive around. A lot of businesses and homes look like they have been frigging deserted. Like someone just up and left. It is beautiful though and the ocean drive was magnificent. I hadn't seen ocean for some time.
Our resort was impressive driving in. Of course it had perfectly manicured landscaping. Huge palm trees and flowering plants everywhere. It is somewhat colonial looking, as is a lot of buildings there, since they were controlled by the Brits for a while. This resort was built in the 50s and was restored when it was bought by couples. We were greeted by the front desk people, some women who are greeters and men in white suits that take your luggage. There was music in the lobby to greet us and the Jamaicans were just impressive. The women are so beautiful and stately. The men are funny and really supernice too. The staff at this place were all amazing, from the restaurant people to the cleaning people. They work hard and they do all they can to make you feel at home in their country.
More later

1 comment:

Lady Sue said...

Joan, sounds like just what you needed....
I totally agree with you on the little kids out in public thing, drives me totally bonkers. I try to go to WalMart to shop late at night to get away from it but there is always some idiot with a crying kid there even at midnight..What's with that?
Glad your back...nothing exciting happened here while you were gone.