Monday, April 30, 2007

DETOX MONDAY

My weight has been steadily going up. Very slowly. This week showed a three pound gain. I have been trying to blame it on the weight training but I had to break it all down and be totally honest. My nutrition is the problem. Mainly I have been binging one day a week and then dieting the rest. I also give myself little treats and don’t count for them. I know I did not really gain three pounds though. That is a scale aberration but the panic and shock from this caused me to halt immediately and re-evaluate.

I am doing a 14 day detox and laying off all exercise besides yoga until I get on track and take off this six pound gain. The strange thing is that this is not showing in my clothes. My body shape has changed from the workouts I am doing, but I think I should be experiencing more fat loss so it shows better so that is what the next two weeks are about. The first day was tough.

The worst thing is the difference this makes in my mental attitude. I know when I was at the lowest weight I felt great and this six pounds is confusing me. It feels like 60 pounds. I need to work on my mental attitude.

The most important aspect of this is DENIAL. I am in denial about what I am eating and I am compromising my trigger foods so I need to eliminate them. My trigger foods are crunchy chippy things and soda pop. This detox should help. I am doing this for 14 days and then will re-evaluate and decide where to proceed. I need to get the nutrition under control or nothing will help. I listened to some experts on the Busy Woman’s Guide to Fat Loss and all the experts were quite firm and reinforced that NOTHING works without the proper nutrition.

If I sound calm, believe me, I have had my freak out. The weird thing is that my clothes fit better and I look better but there is too much fat. I want to eliminate this six pounds before it turns to 60.

2 comments:

BeepBeep said...

How do you figure that laying off the exercise is going to help losing weight? What do you know that 20 million other women don't?!

Is it because you're partially attributing the gain to weights training?

From my expert opinion, over the other side of the globe and basically unknown to you, it sounds like weights + renegade snacking may have contributed to the gain. As you said, body shape remains good. This is where scales that report body fat % might be handy - although i've also been advised that they're crap.

Good luck with the detox. It sounds like you've overcome much greater hurdles than this one. Remind yourself you are not back at the beginning. I completely understand the freak out, but don't worry - you didn't sound calm.

Anonymous said...

Have to agree with the above...dropping high intensity cardio and weights for yoga and 'detox' dieting? Yep, you are panicking. Breathe-use your yoga! And approach like a scientist. You said it yourself, twice: clothes fit better. So this is not just 'gaining it all back'. Yes, drop the all day binge, and take note of the cheats. If you REALLY want that tight body, your'e going to have to get a consistent reading of bodyfat, and back away from only using the scale. If you live near a university, the hydrostatic water reading may be a very reasonable option. I had heard it was expensive, but the local university here charged me $50 for the 1st visit, and only $20 for all other tests during the next 5 years. It makes a BIG difference to know where that is at. Personally, I have been reading your blog a bit, and thought "how on earth is she going to keep this up"? I mean, 'body for life', right? How can you keep up the level of exercise you've been doing? I think you may have been doing a bit of the 'cardio bunny' syndrome...a LOT of low level cardio/exercise stuff (lots of yoga and then trying to add on weight lifting and cardio on the same days). But your body adjusts to this 'lower gear' stuff and you don't maximize the lifting and HIIT stuff, and basically you end up exhausted. How do I know? Ahem. I spent/wasted much of last summer cycling about 300 miles A WEEK; huge rides of 50+ miles, 5 days a week. Dropped the weights, 'cause I was too tired all the time to lift. Weight went up 1-2 pounds, but no big deal, right? Got my bodyfat done again...up3% for all that effort! Why? Body adjusted to cardio (yeah the workouts were 'hard', but not intervals, not that HIIT level)and I dropped the weightlifting. Anyway, if anything here is helpful, good. If not, just delete! But I agree, you are NOT gaining all the weight back. Breathe. Email Skwigg. Get support. But go a bit easy on yourself.