Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Nine More Days

Until my lovely daughter is back in college and I don't have her in my face any more.

I am really challenged with food right now but actually am not eating enough. Last night I was too stressed to eat dinner and nothing sounds like what I want to eat except the tomatos in my garden. I have been eating those and cucumbers. So delicious.
After the family reunion this weekend I have a lot going on next week. We are moving to a new building so things at work are in flux right now. I actually am working home one day during this. I love to this. I could stand my job if I could work at home a day or two a week.
Next Friday we dump her off in her dorm and then my life will be a little more normal and I can retreat into Joan's world. As predicted the "boys" came back so I woke up this morning to dirty dishes, crumbs on the floor, and filthy counters. Couldn't complain to df though. He is supportive with my daughter crap, but daughter will be out of the house and the boys will be there all the time.
So, like I said, I will just have to cope by doing a lot by myself and staying away from them. The youngest started cross country high school team this week and was already dead after the first day practice. His eating habits are horrendous. He basically eats nothing. He is getting taller and weighs nothing. He always has this malnourished look about him and df had to get him up early for practice today and I did not notice him preparing anything for him to eat. There is no water ready. Sigh. Well, I have my own problems but make the kid some eggs. There wasn't even any cereal for him but he will only eat sugary cereals with additional sugar on it. I have a feeling he won't last this season. The workout schedule looks brutal. At least I can pat myself on the back for taking care of my kid and making sure she has what she needs. Sigh. Got my own problems and can't worry about his stupid kids.
Ate my lunch already. Not a good sign. I will get to the gym today. Yesterday my nerves were wrangled between work commotion and my daughter so just went home and went on a long wonderful walk for my exercise. Felt wonderful and the weather was perfect. Think I will work out some anger on weights tonight too.

2 comments:

Joan said...

You sound like me. Being a single mom is exhausting and they just expect the world. My daughter wants me to cosign for a 12,000 car because she thinks she needs one. She lives in the dorm on a small campus and would have to work full time to afford it plus she tripled my insurance already with three speeding tickets and thinks she will pay that too.
Like you, I am already helping a lot but don't want to get stuck with her unreasonable car payment. And then, like you, have to hear it isn't enough. Last year I bought her an expensive laptop and have bought her stuff for her dorm, but feel like you. Grow up already.
The best thing to do is cut them off and say no. She just freaks out that I don't cave in and is trying to wear me thin but no way will I cosign for a car. NEVER!

Joan said...

Kelly you are going through exactly what I am. My daughter is relentless in the pursuit of me cosigning the car. I love that 10 rule because it is true. Last night my fiance said he was proud of me for sticking to my guns, but it isn't like she is asking me to buy new jeans. She is asking me to cosign for a 13000 car and is just a sophomore in college. Plus her insurance would be like 300 a month. I told him if I did do something that stupid I would be spineless and just asking for it because I know it will be real soon and she will find she can not afford it. I sure can't afford it.
We both have done all we can and more and they will continue being spoiled and trying to take advantage of us. It isn't worth it and it won't help them in the long run. I hear of a lot of people who have kids dependent on them for everything in their 30s still and I won't have that.
You hang in there. It is not easy. I thought being a single parent was tough when she was younger and now it is harder than ever.