Monday, May 08, 2006

How Did She Get So FAT!

I ran into an old coworker yesterday at Home Depot and was shocked to see she had gained about 60 pounds. She pretended she didn't see me. I remember she was on a diet all the time and was very tiny. Now she is fat and flabby and out of shape.
About a year ago that would have been me and I know I always hated seeing someone from my thinner days and would hide too. Been there, done that. Makes me wonder what caused her to lose her way. Relationship problems with the husband? Problems with children? Work?
Last night I sort of understood this whole food addiction thing better after watching the Sopranos. One of the characters, Christopher, used to be a raging drug addict/alcoholic. He went to rehab and gave it all back. Tony talked him into having a glass of wine and soon he was shooting up.
I think it is the same way with food. It starts out small. Maybe you quit logging your food and don't count those extra bites. Then you start eating out more. You don't weigh your portions as much. Your clothes are getting smaller. But you get in denial. Maybe like me, you avoid the scale. You get in full-blown denial and you end up gaining it back. And more usually.
I wish there was more research into why people gain back + more. There must be a reason? Maybe due to the havoc we are putting our metabolisms in due to constant dieting. I know a friend and I were talking about this a while back. Her friend, who is probably in the high end or a little more of her weight range, just eats a ton of food and never gains, while we count every miniscule bite, calorie, and point we eat. Plus we exercise like fiends and this woman does nothing. I told my friend that it is because we are dieting all the time and our bodies must really be fighting us to stay fat. It is frustrating. I do believe most thin people are careful though and don't eat everything they see. If you have never been overweight then you obviously have learned what I have never learned, how to eat moderately.
I don't think I ever will either. This is a lifelong struggle.

Oh, I only lost .2, even after adding all that cardio. Geez.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey maybe I am that lady you saw at Home Depot!! Ha ha
Just kidding. I put on 50 pounds gradually and it sucks. Suddenly about a month ago I discovered I was 7 pounds heavier than last summer. I didnt eat more to put this on, I did exercise less I guess but I know skinny people who are couch potatoes. I think I just have the potential for major weight gain due to my genes. At 50 lbs overwieght I am actually the thinnest member of my family on my mothers side. The heaviest is about 200 pounds over weight, so I guess I should feel lucky.
Shouldnt I?

Joan said...

Do you think the people in your family are all overweight due to genetics or lifestyle? I asked myself this question and found it was more lifestyle. My parents both had high blood pressure and cholesterol and so did my grandparents. But they all ate fatty foods, smoked, and drank. Also none of them exercised.
It is hard taking the weight off again. I was up last year too and was NOT a happy camper.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joan!
Of course its a combination, but what I'm saying is some people CANNOT be 100 pounds overweight, EVER. They just can't, they could be super unhealthy, by eating crap and not exercising but they wouldnt be able to achieve obesity because they don't have the fat gene. I was not raised by my mothers family, I grew up with my skinny dad and his parents. Everyone around me was skinny and I was always the chubby one despite copying their eating habits (not bad) and exercise habits (pretty darn good ones, we biked and hiked and ran an egg farm, there was NO lazing around at my house EVER.) So I would have to say the people on my mothers side of the family are overweight due to genetics and lyfestyle. I am overweight due to genetics and eating at night!! Working on that...

Joan said...

Yeah, I absolutely agree with you on that.
I abolished night time eating but I have a saboteur, my fiance, who brought my trigger food to bed last night! Wheat thins. Bastard. He is one of those couldn't weigh 100 pounds more people. The bastard can eat one cookie at a time for god's sake.

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those people who will probably never be less than 100 pounds overweight! Maybe it's partially the fault of my genes, but unless there's a gene that makes you hungry all the time, I don't think that's the only answer. Oddly enough I was pretty slim until I was 16, but after that I started to gain pretty quickly and weighed 220 pounds by the time I graduated from college. Now I'm pushing 300.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon this and just wanted to say. It is more genes than lifestyle. Certainly. I believe this is so from experience and also from training (i'm a biochemist)
This 'fact' is not talked about enough because it is in the interest of the huge 'weight loss' industry to have you believe otherwise.
I'm not about any conspiracy theories or anything.

Weight loss is good. very. we all know about the health benefits. But the painful fact is that not everybody can achieve this. not everybody can cut their risk weight related diseases. c'est la vie.

As far as body image goes, it's really just a shame that society today has developed such shallow standards. Just concentrate on feeling happy at your lowest maintainable weight. This is probably not what you want to hear. I remember being a teenager and suffering with acne and people kept saying "it's a phase, it's gonna pass"...i was like arrgghh...unless it's gonna pass before that party next week, i dont wanna know.

The way society is set up gives 'thin' people a certain unfair psychological advantage. especially among women. this is bullshit. especially as most thin people do not know the first thing about managing weight.

I know because im one of them. I'm a guy. Have always wanted to be bulkier than i actually am. I dont meet too many people who eat more than i do. I frequently, as in more than 3 times a week, eat 12 donuts a day (the big starbucks kind, i dont really know how many calories i eat now but one of my exs once counted and told me i ate 7000 cals a day. i'm 5'11. and ive been since i was maybe 22. i'm 29 now. I have never at any point in my life put on more than 5 pounds. Sometimes i think i'm cursed. when i was younger, i desperately wanted on put on 20 pounds or so. I still do.

The point i'm trying to make is, i have sisters, who are the same. Now imagine my sisters looking down on some other girl because she a little heavy. And thinking what a lazy fatass she must be. How unfair is that.

case in point, Oprah, a 60yr old (i think). She looks fabulous. What is wrong with her weight at her age?..absolutely nothing. Why is she expecting herself to have the body of a 30yr old at 60?...that's the mistake we're making. thinking the exception should be the norm.

Unknown said...

Why do you hate fat people so much? That was really harsh to talk like that about your former co-worker.

Is it because you hate yourself? Be healthy, get over the guilt complex, and eat when you're hungry, and not when you're not.

If it matters, I've lost 170 pounds and am now 6'1 and 150 pounds.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I found your voice online. I have been feeling exactly like that friend of yours recently. I have managed to gain over 40 pounds in the course of three years and am now completely removed from others outside of my immediate family. I will continue to read your entries with the hope of finding inspiration to continue on a 'get in shape to feel better about myself' program, which I began this Tuesday. Wish me luck!